Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Initial Thoughts: Bittersweet Wine Bar & Desserts

I went to Bittersweet's opening night this past Saturday and I was impressed by the place. It's a classy atmosphere with a nice selection of wine on hand and offers plenty of mouth watering desserts. The location is at 121 W Fayette Street right next to Clinton Street Pub - right on the outskirts of Armory Square.

Among the dessert samples that I tried on Saturday were the NY Style Cheesecake, the Carmel Brownie Cheesecake, Carrot Cake, Death By Chocolate Cake, Peanut Butter Dream, and a few others which the names escape me. Every one of them was delicious (the Carmel Brownie Cheesecake was amazing and dare I say, perfect. I thought the NY Style may have been the weakest, but still very good none the less).

Aside from deserts and the 40 or so wine selections, Bittersweet also has milkshakes, ice cream floats, fondue, sandwiches, salads, coffees, and a small beer selection. Hours are 11 AM to 12 AM Mondays through Wednesdays, 11 AM to 2 AM Thursdays to Fridays, and 4 PM to 2 AM on Saturdays.

It should be a great addition to Downtown (assuming they can maintain a steady stream of business during the week, and not just on weekend nights). And really, my only two very, very small issues is that if they're aiming for a much more intimate vibe, I think the lighting should be much dimmer - it was a bit bright and the office-like ceiling panels stick out like sore thumbs, but maybe the lighting was higher for opening night - and I also kind of wish they had offered a few more NY State wines than what was on the wine menu (I only counted a handful), but it's not too big of a deal.

All and all: It's a great place and I really enjoyed it. It should be a welcomed addition to the local restaurant scene. Seems like an excellent spot to hit up after a great meal at any Downtown restaurant.

3 comments:

Jim Johnson said...

That's awesome, I'm glad this place sprang up. I'd really like to give it a look myself.

Audrey Bean said...

I went there recently too--it is really great! I am so glad there is finally a sophisticated dessert restaurant that serves wines.

Owen O'Neill said...

Late hours and an upscale environment.. light food, goo desserts and even wine for those who drink? I think this place has a good chance for success and I intend to try it out soon.